My Knee Surgery

On October 2nd I had knee surgery and I wanted to document what happend there and also share it with everyone who will have to go through something similar, so here we go...

So I have had problems with my knee basically all my life, I used to sprain my knee a lot, but when we were on vacation one time my knee dislocated for the first time. Flash forward a couple of years, I'm 18 now and it still happend a lot, so we decided to go to a doctor again. We ended up in this special orthopedic clinic and the doctor there said my kneecap is naturally placed too high so they had to fix this by surgery. We had a lot of consultations and October 2nd was gonna be the date. We got there a day early because of long travel distance and me and my mom stayed in a hotel on walking distance of the hospital. That morning I wasn't allowed to eat anything and when we got to the hospital I could immediately be helped which I really loved because I would have probably have had half a mental breakdown from waiting in that hospital room. so they give you this gorgeous blue hospital outfit (hahaha) and a pair of hospital underwear and you have to put that on and take everything else off. They also made my draw an arrow on my leg so the doctors knew which leg they had to operate, it's more for safety, they know what they're doing, and I got three pills: a paracetamol, something to sort of relax and get a little sleepy, and something against infections.
I personally had my one leg anesthetized and I would be put to sleep.
After all that was done I said goodbye to my mom and there I went into the operation room. In that room I got my anesthesia and an infusion. They check if everything is good to go and than you go into another room again, this is the room where the actual operation is going to happen. The doctors say hello and than they say they are ready to start. When she put the mask for the sleeping part on me I started panicking, it was actually gonna happen now, but honestly before you really know it you're gone.
When I woke up again it was done and I got transported to another room where I stayed for one night and then I went home.
In this room you can have visitors so my mom was there basically the entire day. I also got my medicine here at 7am, noon, 5pm and 10pm and you get your food here so basically you do everything here, even pee... Yeah peeing sucks when you can't get out of bed... They told me they were gonna see if I could go without my anesthesia, I slept really poorly and they hoped if I could go home I'd be able to rest a little better, which really is such an important part to your recovery.
I also had some physical therapy on the second day, you have to be able to walk some stairs in order to be allowed to go home, and since I could I went home on my second day.
At home you still have to take a shit load of medicine but it's better than being in the hospital.
So now I'm recovering. I didn't go to school for almost two weeks, at first I just had a knee brace but after one week I got a cast which is way better, way more supporting.

So for anyone who has to go through this, it is very intense both mentally and physically, but you will be fine!
So even though that might be hard after a surgery, get cozy x







Reacties

Populaire posts